Green, Green, What the Heck Does it All Mean?

You just cannot get away from it. No matter where you turn, "Going Green" is being pushed in your face whether you like it or not. Green is the buzzword being repeated by politicians, corporations, celebrities, teachers, entrepreneurs, ad agencies, students, etc. Billions have been spent on this very vague and fuzzy ideal simply because it is the buzzword. Come on boys! Let's jump on this bandwagon without knowing the details because if we don't, someone will think we don't care!

But wait, Mikhail, I know what "Going Green" means! Okay. Tell me. Below are some of the responses I've received.

• Recycling - ostensibly to save the planet
• Reducing my "Carbon Footprint" - again to save Earth
• Using alternative fuel sources besides oil - can you guess? Save the planet.
• Stop the use of chemicals on agriculture - ditto
• To stop Global Warming (or Cooling depending on what side of the fence you're on) - see above
• To become sustainable - ?

There are a lot of other answers I have received, but most boil down one of the above, a combination or all of them.

However, when you really press most people, they honestly do not have any idea what it means beyond the few catchphrases they have picked up. Some jump on the bandwagon not knowing where they are going. I have to admit, I was one of those people. I got wrapped up in Earth Day and what I could do to "make things better." (Cue majestic music and hand me my super-hero cape, please.)

Scheduling a neighborhood cleanup, getting brochures from Keep America Beautiful, purchasing soy based crayons and recycled paper coloring books for the kiddies, I was prepared to have an AWESOME Earth Day.

Nobody came. I mean, not one single person showed up to participate in the cleanup, no one took a brochure and no rug-rats colored on cartoon representations of our planet's resources. My ego deflated and the next thing I knew, I was blaming myself because my idea SUCKED!

The day was not a total waste as many of our commercial customers stopped by to check out our alternative fuel powered outdoor equipment. I couldn't be sure if that was because they were really interested or because we had lunch served by some lovely young ladies. I'm betting on the ladies.

So, I sat down and started asking some hard questions. What was Green? Why did I care? What could I have done to make things better - realistically? Was the idea important enough to me, the community and our customers to try again next year?

The more I thought, the more morose I became. Even if I did everything humanly possible to live Green, if no one else did, would it really matter? It was a depressing thought.

Did I want to help save the Earth? Well, yeah. Was I going to become a crusader for it? Um, no. I never saw myself as one of the pushy environmentalists and I sure don't want to become one, but can one person balance themselves to care, do what they can and make a difference without going overboard? Sure.

There is an insurance company whose current ads talk about responsibility. I like that message because responsibility is the one thing that I can hold myself to. If I decide to throw my aluminum cans in the garbage instead of recycling them, then I can hold myself responsible for contributing to our mounting garbage problem. On the other hand, if I decide to recycle them, then I am responsible for taking a little (even if it is teeny tiny) pressure off.

I cannot make anyone else take responsibility for their environment. I can only control mine. Creating legislation, being "in your face", making people feel guilty, eco-terrorism, and overwhelming people with buzzwords won't change them. There are always going to be people who just do not care. You can drive yourself insane trying to get through to them. Others will not listen because of their political or religious beliefs. No use trying to get them to change their minds. Instead, take responsibility for yourself and your choices.

So what the heck does Green mean to me? Taking responsibility for my waste and power consumption. I know that I could always improve on what I am doing personally, but only I can take those steps.

0 comments:

Post a Comment